Re: Lotus's WordPro

Subject: Re: Lotus's WordPro
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 10:06:13 LCL

James Lockard asked if anyone has opinions on WordPro.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've been watching the WordPro Forum on
CompuServe. You might want to check there if you get access. There is plenty of
discussion going on and many of the contributors are plainly unhappy with the
product. Checking out the discussions in that Forum would certainly give you a
great deal of anecdotal info.

By the way, has your IS dept. figured in the costs of converting your existing
data as part of their review. That's something else to consider. The costs of
converting from one programs formatting to another is usually a very
significant percentage of the total cost of switching to a new system, and one
that is usually grossly underestimated. Even with all the filters out there on
the market, you end up having to look at every byte of the converted files to
make sure everything translated properly. Guess what -- it never does, and
usually the places where the filters are break are also the places that take
the most work to get right again.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Best regards,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221, Ext. 152 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]