Proper use of commas in England?

Subject: Proper use of commas in England?
From: Katherine Pyle <kathpyle -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:04:19 -0800

This question is for anyone with a good knowledge of written English *as it
is used in England*.

In the USA, it is currently acceptable to either include or omit a comma
just before the "and" at the end of a string of named items. For example:

A complete computer package includes a CPU, a keyboard, and a mouse.

A complete computer package includes a CPU, a keyboard and a mouse.

I have been recently told (quite forcefully) that the final comma MUST BE
OMITTED in documentation that is going to be used in England . . . that
such a comma is totally UNacceptable there.

Is this true, or do I just have someone trying to impose his personal
preference on me?

Katherine Pyle
Berkeley, California, USA