Relevance Scores!

Subject: Relevance Scores!
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- GALAXY -dot- GALSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 06:52:19 -0600

Hey,
Got this note from a subscriber and I think it's right on target.
Please read and think about it, particularly the wasted bandwidth ones.
Your help and cooperation would be
appreciated. Thanks!
Eric
ejray -at- galstar -dot- com

I'm really disheartened
that TECHWR-L is becoming less and less of use.

It used to be that at least 70% of the material was somewhat related to
technical writing, and that at least 30% of that was material closely
related to the work. Now I often delete more than 90% of the digest I
receive.

I have seen you make some effort at limiting the off-topic postings. I have
seen many negative responses to such limits. However, I agree with
you: if it has nothing to do with technical writing, it belongs in some other
realm.

Of the 36 messages totalling 1507 lines in the 27 Nov/28 Nov digest, I find
the following greatly relevant:
1. looking for work :-(
3. Suggestions, anyone?
5. Default (4)
6. Valuable opiions
8. Vertical org charts (was Suggestions, anyone?)
10. Training Video Script Writing
11. Valuable opinions
12. Documentation techniques
14. Re. Video scripting
15. Translation questions
17. Writing internships? (2)
18. Whither TRUE Senior-Level TW Opportunities?
24. Brainstorm for toolbar button (2)

This is a good proportion, but it could be better. I have included many
submissions that I personally care little about; for example, job
information and freelance information.

The following postings are related somewhat, but should perhaps be
addressed to another mail list:
2. GPA on Resume (3)
7. Mac to PC Graphics Problems (2)
19. Problems with RTFTOHTML
21. SUMMARY: HTML Products (2)
22. Dealing with autogenerated cross refs--(Tool-specific post)

I consider the following postings to be wasted bandwidth on TECHWR-L:
4. GenX/Boomer/ad nauseum
9. Gen X (3)
13. Online Internet Providers
16. Internet providers