Re: Managing diagrams & screen shots for paper/online

Subject: Re: Managing diagrams & screen shots for paper/online
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 09:38:27 -0400

>What software do you use for translating formats, for scaling bitmaps, for
>labelling screen shots?

I've used two approaches.

(1) Convert the graphics files on the PC before transfering to Mac
I used HiJaak Pro to capture screen shots and convert them to EPS files
with viewable TIFFs (so I could see them on screen). HiJaak also converted
Windows .bmp and Corel Draw illustrations to EPS format. Once the files
were converted to EPS, I could import them into FrameMaker on my Mac. They
could also be used by other writers who were using Frame on PC and UNIX
systems.

(2) Copy the .bmp files to my Mac hard drive, then convert them using
DeBabelizer.

In both cases, I do labels and callouts in FrameMaker, as overlays on the
graphic frame. This makes it much easier for the translators. It also
makes it easier for -me- to edit the next version, after the Marketing
folks have decided we need to rename the "doohicky" to be a
"feature-enhanced dingus." I can make the changes quickly in Frame,
without having to fire up a graphics package to make a single word change
and then going throught the entire conversion process again.

@Kat_____ Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services Rochester, NY
LIFE1 (techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com