Grammar, English, and foreign languages -Reply

Subject: Grammar, English, and foreign languages -Reply
From: Jim Kitzmiller <AAGGAJK -at- MAIL -dot- RKD -dot- SNDS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:19:28 -0600

Emily Skarzenski writes:

> My parents... insisted on
*speaking* correct English at home, through which I developed a good
ear for
the right constructions. I have always been very comfortable with
words and I
attribute it equally to my education and circumstances.

What a refreshing comment.
Many of you seem to blame (or credit) how English is taught for your
literacy or the country's illiteracy. Without emphasis in the home, nothing
will work; with emphasis in the home, almost anything will work.

When we rely on the federal government, nothing works.

I'll make no replies to criticisms.
Jim Kitzmiller (Tech Pubs since 1976)
Sundstrand Corporation
aaggajk -at- snds -dot- com

"Only beaten men take the beaten path" - No Fear hat sweatband