Re: ... (and e-mail/email)

Subject: Re: ... (and e-mail/email)
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 13:55:00 EST

Richard Mateosian consulted Webster:
>Scanning quickly through the "ema" words in my 10th Collegiate, I find:
>emaciate, emancipate, emarginate, emasculate, which start about like email
>when I pronounce them. The exception in that group is emanate.

I pronounce these words with an "eh" sound, as in eh-maciate. I pronounce
e-mail as ee-mail. This may be a function of geography; for all I know, the
short E in these words could be Midwestern or maybe even Hoosier.

Peace,
jim grey
--
jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|lonniemackandtwangin'eddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta