Re: Freelancer tips: estimating

Subject: Re: Freelancer tips: estimating
From: "Thomas E. Potter" <TPotter243 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 00:52:03 -0500

In a message dated 95-12-06 21:54:21 EST, ace -at- EUROPA -dot- COM (Mark Ace) writes:

>Don't work at a loss, or too cheaply. You will not enjoy the work, and your
client will not get your best results.

ENGRAVE THESE WORDS WHERE YOU WILL HAVE TO LOOK AT THEM EVERY TIME YOU
CONSIDER A JOB.

Too many times I see beginning tech writers sell their services at
unbelievable low rates. I know we are all desperate at times, but working at
a loss will not improve your position. Thinking that you can take a loss on
the first job and make it up on other work is a risky venture. If anyone has
ever seen this happen, I would be pleased to know the circumstances. Usually
the client only wants more at a lower price. Price your services at the
prevailing rates in your area. We will all be better for it.

Tom Potter
Houston, TX
(713) 932-8182
TPotter243 -at- aol -dot- com