Re: Resume Scanning

Subject: Re: Resume Scanning
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 11:18:12 -0800

appear in the body of my resume, George Allaman responded:

>Thanks, Susan.

>Sheesh, on this list I feel like I have to qualify that as NOT SARCASTIC.
>It's not. But I still think it would better to say:

>"Created and maintained paper-based user and design documents using
>FrameMaker, xv, vi, emacs, WordPerfect 6.1 for Windows, and Microsoft Word.

>"Designed and maintained online WWW HTML documents using Netscape 1.2,
>Mosaic, and HTML Assistant.

>"Generated online help for Windows applications using RoboHelp."

>Wouldn't this kill two recruiters with one defective, EMF-emitting monitor?

Yes, George, you're right. Composing your resume this way would solve
the problem, providing that the repetition involved did not harm the
format, layout, conciseness, or tone of the resume as it stands. I use
a 3-fold brochure format for my resume and limit my job experience to a
2-panel spread. This doesn't give me a whole lot of leeway for adding
repetitive items like software packages. I do, however, devote one panel
to hardware, software, programming languages, and the like. A keyword
list would fit in quite nicely with this information without looking
out of place.

Change my resume format? Not a chance. It keeps gettin' me noticed and
keeps me employed quite nicely. ;-)

Sue Gallagher
Expersoft Corporation
San Diego, CA