White Papers?

Subject: White Papers?
From: Dan Lupo <Dan_Lupo -at- CCMAIL -dot- US -dot- DELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:26:04 CST

I would like to know what YOU think a white paper is. Is it a proposal? A
recommendation report? A position paper? These are terms I've gotten in
response to my question.

But rather than naming it, perhaps a more useful response would include
- what you think its purpose is (persuasive, transactional, both),
- who its intended audience(s) is(are), and
- what segments belong in the document (exec summary, purpose statement,
issues/criteria, cost, org impact, etc.).

I have a hunch that there will be no *right* answer, so please feel free to
preface your comments with "where I work [or "in my discipline"], a white
paper...."

Thanks for your help, folks.

Dan Lupo
(my question, not Dell's)