PC card

Subject: PC card
From: "Wollt, Richard C RV" <rcw1 -at- PO9 -dot- RV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 15:24:00 CST

I have been following this discussion with interest, although at first I was
completely at sea over the PC card/PC Card/PCMCIA usages. You see, I come
from a mainframe environment. The initialism, PC, obviously means printed
circuit, and has for a "long" time. I still have to think about any other
usage, such as personal computer, let alone nuances such as IBM-compatible
personal computer. To add another layer of meaning is almost too much.

I suggest we don't depend on "accepted standard" or "industry usage"
especially when our documents will be used by people outside or own company
or even our own division. Our documentation group has set a standard of
defining each acronym or initialism at first usage in each chapter and in a
glossary. Especially in documents that are used as reference, not read from
cover to cover, a good case can be made for defining each acronym or
initialism multiple times, perhaps every subsection, to reduce the risk of
the user misinterpreting because their "normal" understanding of the term is
different than the "standard".

Merry Christmas to All,

Richard (Dick) Wollt
rcw1 -at- rsvl -dot- unisys -dot- com