Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 17:00:31 -0500

I believe that certification is valuable when the certified will serve the
general public who, without the certification, would have no way of knowing
whether a professional widgit-maker or whatever was competent. I doubt its
value when the widgit-maker will normally be employed by someone who is
capable of deciding whether he/her/it* is capable of doing the job he/she/it
is seeking.

Thus I consider that physicians need some sort of international approval,
while computer programmers don't. Note: I am strongly opposed to
state/national/provincial certifications and believe that they should be
replaced as soon as possible by international standards and certificates.

*Bell employs spokes-robots to tell us the phone numbers we are seeking and
I see no reason why they shouldn't seek to better themselves by training as
<you name it>!

David (very idiotically) Ibbetson

Remember in December, however many days people are expected to attend the
office, they won't do more than two weeks work. The self-employed are
exceptions.

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4