Re: hyphenating email/e-mail/E-mail

Subject: Re: hyphenating email/e-mail/E-mail
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 12:39:22 MST

Keith Calvert Ivey <kcivey -at- CPCUG -dot- ORG> wrote-->
> I can understand those misguided folks who think that
> "e-mail" should be capitalized, since there are similar words
> ("J-school", "U-boat", "A-bomb") that are capitalized even
> though they aren't proper nouns.

I'm glad to see we agree that to capitalize the "e" in e-mail
based on such examples as "U-boat", "A-bomb", and "A-frame" is
misguided.

> ... Do they
> write "vchip", "fstop", "Aframe", "xray", "Tshirt", "Ibeam",
> "Oring", "Jschool", "Uboat", "Abomb", "nbutane", "yaxis",
> "Ltryptophan", "Uturn", "cmitosis", "Qtip"?

I don't think "e-mail" vs. "email" is worth debating.
I've only recently (within the last 4-5 months) converted to
the "email" school of thought, but I admit that some of your
samples above are good ones. I don't agree with Q-tips because
it is a registered trademark. I don't agree with O-ring,
I-beam, T-shirt, U-turn, and A-frame because their initial
(capital) letters represent the shape of the thing the word
represents; they are not abbreviations of words.

Happy Holidays,

Bev Parks
Work: bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil
Home: bparks -at- primenet -dot- com