Re: Resumes - writing your own

Subject: Re: Resumes - writing your own
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 14:08:50 MST

Thomas E. Potter <TPotter243 -at- AOL -dot- COM> wrote-->
<good info snipped>
> One section which I think is very important and one which most resume writers
> omit is the HOBBIES AND INTERESTS section. I never thought about this until I
> ran across some resumes in which the applicants had the same hobbies as I. It
> made me take a second look at the resume. After all, someone who shares your
> interests will automatically get your attention.

=======
You're right that many resume books recommend omitting the
hobbies and interests section. But, as you say, including it
can work highly in your favor. OTOH, I think it is equally
likely that a hobby or interest you list can work against you.

For instance, I'm sort of one of them animal rights wackos and
if you list trophy hunting or mink farming as a hobby or
interest, you've pretty well sealed your fate with me.

I admit that those are extreme examples. I've never met anyone
whose hobby was mink farming (though I have known a few trophy
hunters--the kind with elephant-foot footstools and leopard
skins on their walls). Unless your hobbies are mundane and
harmless, it's probably safest to omit the section.

Bev Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil
All opinions are my own--I am not representing my employer.