Re[2]: Certification (long)

Subject: Re[2]: Certification (long)
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 13:45:00 -0600

Anyway, maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe spelling is more
important. But why do we need a set of certification standards?
Without a standardized test, won't the marketplace sort it out?

At the heart of a mandatory certification process is the belief that the
marketplace *can't* sort it out, that the front-line consumers are unable to
tell good writers from bad, or worse (shudder) that the front-line consumers
*don't want* to hire people with the qualifications "we" (the certifiers)
think they should. In short, it's based on the assumption that the
certifiers know better than the employers just what kind of people they
should hire.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124