qualifications

Subject: qualifications
From: Sarah Lee <slee -at- ROSEBAY -dot- MATRA -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 20:03:42 +1100

There have been quite a few posts regarding job openings
in the technical writing profession here on this list.
More often than not, one of the pre-requisites
listed for a position is a degree in a related area
for example, technical writing or computers.

How strict are employers on the kind of education
a potential employee has had? What
does experience count for? I, for instance, am
starting my "technical writing" life purely
from working as one. My studies was in
the field of Linguistics. I am particularly
interested in the situation in the US.