Re: Safety words

Subject: Re: Safety words
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 1995 18:50:50 -0500

What is the difference between WARNING and CAUTION?

I've only been in Canada for 23 years and I haven't learned, (of course I'm
notoriously backwards), but we're taking in new immigrants at a high rate
and many, perhaps most, of them have neither English nor French as their
mother tongue.

Common Market countries have their own rules which <bold, italics on) must
be observed <bold, italics off> if trouble is to be avoided. For documents
in English this means the UK and the Republic of Ireland. Such documents
will probably be OK for the UK's remaining colonies, such as Gibraltar and
the Falklands, but independent Commonwealth countries such as Australia,
India and New Zealand, each have their own rules on such matters.

Perhaps the meaning of technical and legally-required terms can be defined
in a few sentences at the beginning of a document? However, this has its own
problems. e.g. Lawyers get nervous when non-lawyers attempt to explain their
language in everyday terms.

A happy, idiotic, accident-free, and unsued new year to all our readers.

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4