Certification - My Turn

Subject: Certification - My Turn
From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 19:08:22 EST

Yvonne DeGraw mentioned Michele Jackman, who spoke to the Santa
Barbara STC Chapter about "New Attitudes for New Ways of Working":

> One of her comments was that job-hopping is the trend for the
> future and "technical communication is frog city." She claimed
> that certification stifles the growth and creativity in a
> profession. She said that rather than "defining the limits of the
> pond, we should be naming the lily pads."

I like Ms. Jackman's premise, and I love her metaphor. I'm a little
mystified, though, as to why she says what she says about
certification. If job-hopping is becoming the norm (and it is),
couldn't certification be helpful both to job seekers and to
employers? Could you elaborate a little bit, Yvonne?

Larry Kunz
STC Assistant to the President for Professional Development
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com