Numerals and Bullets

Subject: Numerals and Bullets
From: Elizabeth Carmack <ecarmack -at- SMTPGATE -dot- TNRCC -dot- STATE -dot- TX -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 07:49:37 -0600

Greetings Folks: I have a question about the use of numerals. I
understand that style rules say spell out whole numbers between zero
and nine and use numerals for 10 and above. But what if the number is
linked to a particular measurement, like miles, cubic inches, etc.?
Some style guides say always use numerals for certain specific
measurements, others don't address it. I think writing "a
1-cubic-inch tube" or "a 3-mile-radius" looks funny. What is the
consensus out there?

And a question on bullets: When using a bulleted list, is it proper
to capitalize the first letter of the first word in each item even if
they are not complete sentences? And what about punctuation? I say
semicolons to separate them if they are complete sentences and commas
if they are not. Thanks for your comments.

Elizabeth Carmack
Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission
Austin, Texas
ecarmack -at- smtpgate -dot- tnrcc -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
(512) 239-1652