Permission on the Web

Subject: Permission on the Web
From: Suzanne Pyle <Crow101156 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:07:29 -0500

Here's an interesting question to pose to you: many of us are somewhat aware
of copyright and permission to use rules for hardcopy. But what about on the
Web? If I find artwork or material at a site that I would like to use in my
own
material, do I have access to it? Does the "fair use" provision apply here?
Is
it legal to just borrow what I find on the Web? Any of you law-savvy types
have
an opinion or actual experience? And if you do find a site that is has the
copyright sticker on it, what then applies? Am I able to use artwork (.gif
images, etc.)
and text or do I have tweak it a bit?

Please share!!!! - Suzanne