Re: Comma splices

Subject: Re: Comma splices
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 01:57:38 -0500

In a message dated 96-01-08 01:21:22 EST,
merrill -at- HYPERION -dot- PDIAL -dot- INTERPATH -dot- NET (Gary Merrill) writes:

> Stylistically, comma splices are tolerated in certain unusual and
>constrained
>circumstances. A common example is:

> I came, I saw, I conquered.

>(Which, of course, I would *prefer* to render as

> I came; I saw; I conquered.

>or

> I came. I saw. I conquered.
Bad example. The above sentence is a literal translation of Julius
Caesar's motto, "Veni, vedi, vici." Literal translations from a foriegn
tongue can not be counted when discussing English sentence sturtcture. And
in addition, if I remember correctly what Fr. Riddlemoser taught me in high
school Latin, the word, vici, comes with an implied "and then" preceding it.
Agricula, agriculae, agriculorum,
J.P.