Re: Comma splices

Subject: Re: Comma splices
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 01:57:40 -0500

In a message dated 96-01-08 10:04:26 EST, tammy -at- ZEUS -dot- ATS -dot- QC -dot- CA (Tammy Sudol)
writes:

>P.S. You may not like my comma placement, but I think you understand
>exactly what I'm trying to say. ; )
In a technical document, it matters not a whit whether or not the writer
*thinks* that the reader understands exactly what the writer is trying to
say. Rather, it matters most that the reader can not *misunderstand* what
the writer is actually saying. I would always opt for making enemies of
unclear writers than to run the risk of a customer (the indivual who pays the
bills and feeds your family) misunderstanding a written instruction and
having to stay on hold for hours while trying to pry the proper procedure
from the overworked folks manning the help phones.
The details count,
J.P.