Representing Computer Interactions (was "comma splices")

Subject: Representing Computer Interactions (was "comma splices")
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:50:40 -0700

This is a system I use when showing friends how to use menus. I would like to
propose it for technical manuals. I don't think I've seen it used anywhere,
but it works really nicely.

If I want a user to select File, then Open, then SOME.FIL, I represent it
this way:

Select File:Open:SOME.FIL

It's concise, and great when the menu structure is deep or you need to
combine several operations into one statement, like here:

Select Print:Options:Portrait:Close:Select:Default Printer:Close:OK

The colon is arbitrary. A dash, semicolon or asterisk would work as well.

Any comments?

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |