Re: WinHelp structure comes first?

Subject: Re: WinHelp structure comes first?
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 11:38:57 -0800

Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET> wrote:

>I'm open to other arguments, though, and I'd be interested to know if
>anybody has reconciled these two views. In my mind, there are infinite
>gray zones between them, because an architectural approach is never
>100%. But I try to push it as high as I can. Anybody got a good case
>or anecdote for doing an accretion WinHelp project?

Whether it's print or WinHelp, I have to vote for the architectural
approach. In addition to the planning issues, I *always* give my
clients a list of topics with proposed crosslinks. If it *is* WinHelp,
I'll even create the shell for the help file (topics with links, but no
content).

That way, they have the opportunity to vote yea, nay, or "qualified
yea" early in the project. It seems like a critical step toward "open
communication".

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com