Re: Permission on the Web

Subject: Re: Permission on the Web
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH2 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 14:38:14 MST

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG> wrote-->
A number of people wondered why I cautioned against pointing at other
people's stuff without permission. In general, I don't think there's any
problem pointing at someone else's "home" page, unless you've put the
pointers in a questionable context like the famous Babes of the Web site.

On the other hand, suppose you see a graphic design that you like, and you
simply put a link from your page to the gif file that implements it at the
original site. To the untrained observer, it looks like your work. The
designer gets no credit for it and has to pay for the additional traffic.

I just read (I think in the latest issue of Internet World)
about this very thing. What they said in the article
matches what you say. It's okay to have a link in your home
page that will take the user to the location of the link, but
it's not okay to have a link that just displays, or downloads,
the link's contents (such as a graphic) at your own site.

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh2 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Certified. =*=
=*= "I am not speaking for my employer." =*=