Re: Quote Marks

Subject: Re: Quote Marks
From: Phil Atkinson <phila -at- INTUITIVE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 16:10:05 +0000

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, George Allaman wrote:

> I was taught - and I probably erroneously assumed it was the industry
> standard - that anything you read from the screen should be courier, anything
> you type in or click on should be bold. However, when indicating a single
> key, enclose caps in angle brackets, as in <ENTER> or <CTRL>+<F3>. I was told
> never to capitalize words except in these angle brackets. Italics I thought
> were reserved for introducing new terms.

We use the following conventions:

- Uppercase denotes a filename or directory.
- Boldface (with the exception of headings) denotes either a Window name or
a field, button, list, menu, or menu item.
- Small caps refer to non-alphanumeric keys on the keyboard (such as
Return).
- italics refer to glossary terms.
- Non-proportional text denotes data-entry on the part of the user.

I prefer not to discuss right an wrong with these issues but this is our
standard.

--
Phil Atkinson, Documentation Manager
Intuitive Systems Ltd phone: +44 (0) 1438 317966