Re: Writing for direct mail

Subject: Re: Writing for direct mail
From: ROMAY SITZE <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 20:46:14 -0700

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Grant Hogarth wrote:

> Specific Course Flyers:

> Padgett Thompson 913-451-2900
> "How to create newsletters people will read"

I've taken this course. I was ok, but I got more from some of the books
I have than from the course.

A couple of recommendations:

Klein's _Write Great Ads: A step-by-step approach_. John Wiley & Sons,
1990. This is put together in a workbook style with specific exercises
to guide you through the learning process. It also has a variety of
examples of the different types of marketing techniques, including both
short and longer ads, brochures, direct marketing pieces, even radio and
TV ads.

Another book with some great ideas is Floyd's _Marketing with
Newsletters_, EF Communications, 1991. While this one's primary focus is
on newletters, much of the information has carry-over value to other
types of marketing communications.

> > Judith Blackbourn <JudiStaal -at- msn -dot- com> asks:
> > Our marketing department is looking for books, seminars, or workshops for
> > developing a winning writing style to use in direct mail. Anyone out there
> > familiar with this genre?

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu