Re: $/word: the author responds

Subject: Re: $/word: the author responds
From: "Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd." <dlhays -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 00:35:03 -0500

At 07:34 AM 01/18/1996 PST, you wrote:
>> First of all, this is NOT a joke. It IS a predicament.
>> WHAT do we DO to quantify our production????? My boss will
>> not rest until we have a statistic to measure.

><snip> deleted for brevity (and redundancy)

>makes the biggest difference in the long run.

>Try to educate your boss. If that isn't an option,
>mail those resumes.

I agree. Trying to quantify the TW's work is a useless activity and frought
with philosophies which tend to undermine the professionalism of the
discipline. The finished product is the quantifiable item. What it takes to
get the product out the door is something management may not understand;
hence, the perceived need to try to place the TW in a gordian knot. Once
agreed to (quantifiable measurement criteria), the product integrity
suffers, and the item management seeks to manage becomes less by the efforts
of the manager. This may be nothing more than a great example of the
Heisenberg principle at work (another example is the TW's "this page
intentionally left blank").

Good luck.

-------------> Dennis Hays, The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.
-------------> Voice: 518/477-6388 Fax: 518/477-5006