[no subject]

From: Judith Blackbourn <JudiStaal -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 15:36:44 UT

Beryl Doan writes:

>Similarly, I'd like to get opinions on using "the foobar menu is displayed"
vs "the foobar menu appears."

>My training and experience with PCs tells me that novices are often
intimidated by computers, and that "appears" is too much like magic. While "is
displayed" is passive, the reader does not need to know who/what displays the
menu.

>Comments?

I like to use the phrase "the screen displays the foobar menu", as in "when
you click the foo tool button, the screen displays . . .".

In lists of steps, I put the screen response on a separate line following the
numbered step, slightly indented from the hanging indent. In an online file, I
don't indent the response but format it in half-a-point smaller type and dark
blue to make it stand out (but not scream).

1. Click the foo tool button.
The screen displays the foobar menu.
2. Select the moof option.
The dogcow sings.