Freelance Editing Charges

Subject: Freelance Editing Charges
From: tina -at- IAGO -dot- TRIP -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 14:58:39 -0500

Apologies if this is a duplicate for some - I got a mailing error:

Hello, all!

I apologize in advance if you've beaten this topic to death, or if TECHWR-L is
not the appropriate place to air this.

An acquaintance has just asked if I would be willing to edit a 150-page
(approx.) sci-fi/fantasy novel for flow and story consistency (minimum), and
probably some line editing as well. She wants to know what I would charge (we
are in southwestern CT). I've never done freelance work before, and I've never
edited fiction -- does anyone have any suggestions?

Should I charge by the hour? by the page? by the number of editorial passes?
some combination of these? What is the best way to go about the job?

Thanks heaps -

Tina Stella