Information mapping and good books

Subject: Information mapping and good books
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 12:01:00 +1100

Information mapping is a useful technique, it's strength is in the
analysis. I use the analysis skills learn from IM on most of my
projects. However it is not the answer to everything, for example, IM
send their letters mapped and I think they look dreadful. Most of our
documents are information mapped - or at least our manuals and reports.
Like any technique it needs to be used with discretion but in the right
context is really helpful.

List of good books:

Dictionary and thesaurus - I use Macquarie (an Australian one)
Word Developers Kit - for all the things not in the normal manual

Illustrating Computer Documentation, The Icon Book and Designing and
writing Online Documentation all by William Horton
Handbook of Uability testing by Rubin
Guidelines for enterprise wide GUI design by Weinshenk and Yeo

These I couldn't do without, I needed to read Managing your Documentation
Projects by Hackos and actually have it on my shelf. However if you can
borrow it to read, I suspect that is all you would need.

I have also purchased About Face - The essentials of user interface
design by Cooper. This is looking like it will become an essential as
well.

Hope this helps

Colleen Dancer
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au

The opinions expressed are my own and not the ABCs