Thumbnail/preview TIFF images

Subject: Thumbnail/preview TIFF images
From: Andrew Woodhouse <awoodhou -at- MPC-UK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 10:24:48 GMT

Hi, TECHWR-Lers

We use FrameMaker 5.0 on Sun Sparcs, and our documents contain a large number of
screendumps in TIFF format. As we frequently have a number of authors working on
a document, we need some way to control these graphics.

What we need really is to find some way of creating thumbnails of the images in
each directory, showing a small version of the graphic along with the filename.
It's such a pain to have to open each graphic in a tool such as XV or the Sun
Imagetool to find out what it is...

Does anyone know of a good way to do this?

So far, I've tried using XV's Visual Schnauzer (sp.?), which can create icons
from the TIFFs, but these are a little too small to get a good idea of what they
are. A command-line operated TIFF to PS utilitym would be good, as this could be
used to convert the TIFFs to postscript and print them direct to the printer.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks

Andrew Woodhouse
Technical Writer