Engineering job openings

Subject: Engineering job openings
From: beth_staats -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:31:29 MTN

Fellow tech writers,

My company, Artisoft Inc. in Tucson, AZ, is in
dire need of hiring more engineers. If you know
any engineers who may be ready to move on to
warmer climes and to a software company that's
got a great future, please pass this on to
them. Thanks very much!

The pay is good, for Tucson (pay _minimums_ are
shown below; salary is DOE). It may not sound
like much to people who are in big cities, but
the cost of living is low and the quality of
life is high. Tucson is still like a small town
in many ways. Fun-wise, we have fast access to
cool mountains, snow skiing, Mexican beaches,
water skiing, cultural stuff, lotsa music, etc.

Artisoft is well-known for its network product,
LANtastic. We recently acquired two software
companies that we expect to dramatically expand
our income. One makes an excellent modem-sharing
product and the other makes an excellent remote
control product. More acquisitions (and new
applications developed in-house) are coming.
We have a good bonus program.

The engineers work closely with tech writers
and help us produce award-winning docs. FYI, we
have four full-time writers right now (may hire
more later this year -- I'll let you know when
there are openings).

HOW TO APPLY:
Artisoft wants referrals from its employees.
So please send all resumes to me:
1. via e-mail at bstaats -at- artisoft -dot- com
2. via fax at 520-670-7050
3. or by mail:
Elizabeth Staats
Technical Publications Dept.
Artisoft Inc.
2202 N. Forbes Blvd.
Tucson AZ 85745
(telephone 520-670-7053)
Feel free to call/write & ask me questions!

POSITION: Senior Software Engineer
PAY: minimum $52K
DEPT: Software Engineering
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
> Plans and creates the design of software.
Coordinates with other engineering personnel
to define product or project specs and scope.
Analyzes software problems, requirements,
objectives. Refines and enhances existing
software products and designs and develops
components of new products. Implements
projects defined by management and contributes
recommendations toward their implementation.
Defines and performs unit testing of developed
components. Analyzes and repairs software
problems. Reviews product design and tests
plans and recommends design modification
or alterations as necessary.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
> BS in CS or EE AND 6 years related PC
programming experience OR 10 years of related
programming experience
> Experience or exposure to network device
drivers, network protocol internals
> Experience or exposure to C++ programming
language, assembly language other than 80x86,
object-oriented design and development
> Prefer: Macintosh networking and UNIX
systems and networking software experience
> Prefer: Experience with hardware and
software debugging tools in 16- and 32-bit
environments
> Prefer: Experience developing system-level
software for the PC environment
> Prefer: Knowledge of graphical user
interface and human factors (usability) concepts

POSITION: Software Engineer II
4 positions available
PAY: minimum $37K
DEPT: Software Engineering
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
> Refines and enhances existing software
products; designs and develops components
of new products. Implements projects defined
by management and contributes recommendations
toward their implementation. Defines and
performs unit testing of developed components;
analyzes and repairs software problems,
working closely with the test engineering
organization. Reviews product design and
test plans, recommending alterations as
required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
> BS in CS or EE and two years programming
experience OR 6 years related programming
experience
> Knowledge of 80x86 assembly and skill
in DOS application programming and/or network
application programming and/or 80x86 system
level programming
> Knowledge of C language and skill in
application programming in at least 2 of
the following environments: DOS, Windows 3.x,
Windows 95, Windows NT, OS/2.
> Prefer: Experience in or exposure to
C++ programming language, assembly language
other than 80x86, object-oriented design
and development, Macintosh systems, Macintosh
networking, UNIX systems, UNIX networking
> Prefer: Experience developing system-level
software for the PC environment
> Prefer: Knowledge of graphical user
interface and human factors (usability)
concepts
> Prefer: Previous experience with
hardware and software debugging tools in 16-
and 32-bit environments

POSITION: Test Engineer II
PAY: minimum $37K
DEPT: Test Engineering
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
> Performs technical tasks associated with the
pre-release testing of network operating systems
software, network utilities, various software
packages, and netwrok adapter device drivers.
Generates reports on product problems that need
to be addressed and identifies possible problem
solutions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
> BS in CS, EE, Sys Eng, Comp Eng and 2-3 years
experience testing software products
> Experience with the following operating systems:
DOS, MS Windows, Windows 95, IBM OS/2 (v2.1 or
higher) or Novell NetWare (v3.11 or higher)
> Two years prog. in C/C++ or Assembly on 80x86
family of Intel microprocessors for the above
operating systems
> Experience with or exposure to Windows 95
> Prefer: Recent experience installing, supporting
and designing LANs
> Prefer: Candidate with fluency in French,
German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese or Portuguese
languages; experience dealing with international
vendors or distributors a plus

POSITION: Escalation Support Test Engineer I -
2 positions available
PAY: minimum $32K
DEPT: Escalation Support
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
> Primary responsibilities include system level
debugging and troubleshooting in the areas of
network operations systems software, inter-
connectivity and groupware applications.
Engineers in the group are in close contact with
our customers through interaction with Artisoft's
Technical Support Dept.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
> BS in CS, EE, Sys Eng, Comp Eng
> Recent experience in the following areas:
IBM OS/2, OS/2 LAN Server, Windows 95 or
Windows NT
> Prefer: At least one year of directly
related experience in software development or
maintenance in a PC environment
> Prefer: At least two years professional
programming experience using C/C++ or 8086
Assembly in a PC, MAC or UNIX environment

(Thought I'd also throw this one in:)
NON-ENGINEERING POSITION: Product Manager
PAY: minimum $40K
DEPT: Marketing
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
> Plans, manages, coordinates and implements
the product to market process for new and
upgraded products while providing the
coordination of continued product support
for existing, released products. Responsible
for product conceptualization, product
specification, marketing plans, launch activities
and product life cycle management.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
> BS in EE or CS, prefer additional MBA and
4-6 years of PC/software industry prod. mktg.
experience
> Knowledge of marketing methods and processes
including product planning and product launch
> Experience with advertising agencies and
other forms of media communication
> Extensive knowledge of company products,
services and application of those of the
competition
> Excellent written and oral communication
skills