Re: Request for change

Subject: Re: Request for change
From: STACEY KAHN <stacey -dot- kahn -at- NETEAST -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 15:40:00 -0500

I'm with Eric on this one.

One of the biggest problems we have as tech writers is managing our
profession: What is tech writing, why does it require professional
skills and experience as opposed to a knack for words, why should we be
paid better than entry-level copyeditors. As long as we focus solely on
the writing or the wordsmithing, we're selling ourselves short.

Tech writing is not just a fancy name for being paid to put words on
paper. Tech writing is a distinct discipline, one often practiced by
only one person in an organization. And this list is one of the few
places available for working tech writers to "talk shop".

To argue that "the narrow, anal-retentive conditions of relevance to
technical writing" are irrelevant this list is to miss the point
entirely.

For a more wide-ranging discussion of words, and whether to hyphenate on-
line, and lots of cheery, breezy, irrelevant banter, visit the
copyediting list. It's active and it's usually polite. To subscribe,
send the message SUBSCRIBE COPYEDITING-L YourName to
listproc -at- cornell -dot- edu .

--Stacey Kahn
stacey -dot- kahn -at- neteast -dot- com
Washington, DC
note new address
---
* CMPQwk #1.42* UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY