Re: Terms for Software Co

Subject: Re: Terms for Software Co
From: STACEY KAHN <stacey -dot- kahn -at- NETEAST -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 15:37:00 -0500

Stuart Burnfield writes:

>I need to know whether there are industry accepted terms for
>installing, configuring and messing with software.

As I see it:

Installation is the entire process of adding something (software or
hardware) to a system. Installation can include human intervention.
Anything that *must* be done to make the new stuff work, and anything
that the installation script lets the human do as part of the
installation is included.

Configuration is a subset of installation (setting up the system to work
on your existing system). It includes both required and optional
elements.

Admin and housekeeping definitely apply only to already-installed
systems.

Administration -- stuff that *must* be done, stuff that the system
administrator or some other central person/resource does. Tasks that
would be part of "configuration" when the system is installed would be
part of "administration" once it's running. Examples: Adding users,
setting privileges, setting up external drives.

Housekeeping -- stuff done by the user and not strictly necessary,
though desirable. Generally, deleting old files, updating stuff, and so
on.

FWIW.

--Stacey Kahn
stacey -dot- kahn -at- neteast -dot- com
Washington, DC
---
* CMPQwk #1.42* UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY