Internationalizing/Translating Winhelp (HELP!)

Subject: Internationalizing/Translating Winhelp (HELP!)
From: Stephen Schiller <smschill -at- SOFTART -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 11:02:48 -0500

Hi All,

I'd appreciate any advice or anecdotes on the following problem...

Over the past three months, my company has created an online help system
using RoboHelp. Our help system will be run from the menu bar, and we also
plan to have context-sensitive dialog box help. Most of our users speak
English, but our German, Spanish, and French customers have seen demos of
the new help system and are starting to grumble that it's in English.

Our application is easily internationalized, but our paper documentation has
never been translated due to cost. Now that the online help system is part
of the application, our customers may want to translate the online help.
While the customer is responsible for the translating, we want to make it as
easy as possible.

This is a new arena for me.

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem before? What was your solution?
Do you know of any good resources for writing international documentation?

Many thanks,
Stephen Schiller
smschill -at- softart -dot- com
http://www.in.net/~smschill/techcomm.html