Re: Word 6.0 TOC errors

Subject: Re: Word 6.0 TOC errors
From: Stephen Michael Schumacher <solmaker -at- OLYMPUS -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:56:33 GMT

Like Chou, I'm having my own problem with what seems to be buggy TOC
generation
in Word 6.0c, and I'd appreciate any insights or work-arounds.

I had a perfectly functional Word 2.0-cd document which I translated to Word
6.0
format. All was well until I tried to recreate the table of contents. First
it
scanned all 22 pages, then it decided to repaginate and found 33 pages and
proceeded
to assign bogus page numbers to all the headings in my TOC. When I paged down
the
document, I saw that extraneous page breaks had been added near the end of half
my
pages, but these new page breaks proved to be phantoms, for before my eyes -
hey
presto! - they disappeared! The document was as before, but the TOC is now all
wrong.

It looks like Word is barfing on pages that are nearly full, but really,
what's
wrong with nearly full pages? And how are these page breaks appearing and
disappearing,
present just long enough to mess up my TOC? And most of all, how can I work
around
this problem without having to restyle my document in ways I don't want?

Help.

Steve (solmaker -at- olympus -dot- net)

* Check out the Leader OnLine newspaper: http://www.olympus.net/leader/
*** and the droll story of its creation:
http://www.olympus.net/leader/making.htm