Re: The new way to office

Subject: Re: The new way to office
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 12:33:00 PST

On Tuesday, February 13, 1996 11:59 AM, TECHWR-L wrote:
>On a similar note, does anyone have a problem with the verb grow in the
>following usage: "Do you want to grow your business?" You can grow hair,
and
>you can grow old. But can you grow a business? Thoughts, opinions, and
views?

I don't like it, but it is analogous to this sentence:

"Do you want to grow flowers?"

In these cases, grow is a transitive verb. While I think the sentence is
awkward, it is correct. I'd prefer "Do you want to increase your
business?" But that may not have the same connotations.

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.
kentn -at- metrix-inc -dot- com