Re: What is a SME

Subject: Re: What is a SME
From: Kent Newton <KentN -at- METRIX-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 17:10:00 PST

Chris Hulin asked:
>What's an SME? Is it "ess-em-ee" or "Smee".

To which sseifert -at- fairfield -dot- com (and others) replied:
>SMEs are Subject Matter Experts. I pronounce it Smee (isn't that the
pirate
>in Peter Pan?) I'm sure you have SMEs where you work, they lurk
everywhere.
>If someone speaks or writes in passive voice, s/he's probably a SME.

While Peter Ring replied:
>SME is an abbreviation for Small and Medium sized Enterprise. The
>term is primarily used by the EEC for their R&D programmes
>(BRITE/EURAM, etc.), but has from there found a quite widespread use
>in European bureaucratic language. For most EEC R&D programmes,
>the definition of a SME is:
>- Less than 500 employees.
>- Turnover of less than 38 million ECU (approx. 50 M$)
>- Not majority owned by a larger industrial group.

To which I say:

Oh great, now we have two definitions for SME! How will we know what
we're talking about? Do we have a consensus on which of these two
definitions are prevalent? Do we have another definition lurking out
there somewhere?

Kent Newton
Senior Technical Writer
Metrix, Inc.