Re: old growth

Subject: Re: old growth
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 06:58:00 -0600

No, wrong. You don't grow the tree into a 10 metre oak, it grows
itself, you can either help or hinder it, but its not YOU doing the
'growing'.

I would draw a fine semantic line between that, and saying someone
'grows' (ie farms) some type of plant, for example, 'joe grows
wheat'.

I don't see the distinction. Both activities amount to the same thing. The
plants, strictly speaking, grow themselves, and you hinder or help them. If you
"grow" wheat, you "grow" trees. I don't see how you can say the word ap[plies to
one plant and not another.

As for 'Growing your business' what's wrong with 'expanding' or
'improving' or one of a half-dozen other verbs more suitable for the
purpose?

You aren't necessarily "improving" your business; you're simply making it
larger. "Expanding" works, but "growing" implies a more systemic approach; it
implies that the business support functions are getting larger at the same rate
the rest of the business. You can "expand" a business by simply adding
customers. A "growing" business implies that the rest of the business expands to
support the burden of added sales.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the term, but that's just my
opinion. YMMV.

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data