Re: Freelancing fees - Reply

Subject: Re: Freelancing fees - Reply
From: Peter Kent <76711 -dot- 2557 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 23:15:51 EST

In answer to Richard Farley's query, Peter Kent said:
>I figure that somewhere around 1% of freelancers are making over $100,000.
>>The survey I mentioned found four people making between $100,000 and
>>$124,999, and one person making between $125,000 and $149,999, out of 71

>>Sarah Lee Bihlmayer then responded:
I'm confused--where does the 1% figure come from? When I do the math, the
5 out of 71 survey respondents making over $100K constitute 7%. <<

Ah, you found the intentional mistake!

Well, actually, in the past I've looked at these surveys and found that
somewhere between 1% and 2% of all respondents--not just freelancers--earn over
$100,000. When I looked at this one I found about the same. There were 299
respondents, 5 of whom earned over $100,000--that's 1.7%, the same ballpark.
When I came to write that msg a few days later, I threw down a few numbers
without paying enough attention! As you point out, 7% of the freelancers were
making over $100,000.

Oops, sorry.

Peter Kent

Peter Kent: 71601 -dot- 1266 -at- compuserve -dot- com, 303-989-1869
Coming soon, an updated and revised Technical Writer's Freelancing
Guide. E-mail for more information.