Re: Re. Moving targets

Subject: Re: Re. Moving targets
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 15:43:00 PST

Geoff H provided the following (in response to Karen's initiating
discussions on the proverbial moving target):
<snip>
> Why not negotiate with your manager to get the _appearance_
> of the interface frozen early on in the process (if you're
> so inclined, you might even become the interface expert for
> your company). Then, get the programmers to tweak the
> performance and functionality to whatever extent they
> desire... but leave the interface itself alone. Much easier
> for you, more productive for them, better for the end user,
> and probably a much more logical approach to software
> design overall.

This, actually, is pretty much what happens here. We (we being the
programmers, me, and the prez and GM), agree when the UI will be
frozen. After the UI has been frozen, if a programmer (or even if I)
suggest or request a change (this includes changes to dialogs or
menus), then consensus is reached -- OK, this will be changed, but
the docs will have to change also and the schedule may change; No,
this will not be changed now; Deferred until another major release;
No One Has a Clue Why it Should Change So Don't.

Anyways, this way everyone is aware of the impact of the change, and
there is some general agreement when the decision is reached whether
to implement or not.

Of course, this doesn't always work (can you say "what perfect
world?"), but it has reduced the number of "surprises" I get when I
get the final beta and notice that there are two new menu items on
the File menu!! <grin>

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com