Re: Freelance Rates

Subject: Re: Freelance Rates
From: Frank -dot- Harper -at- ES -dot- ATL -dot- SITA -dot- INT
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 07:47:26 PST

Daniel E. Wise wrote:

I mentioned rates to Don Cunningham head of the Technical Communication
degree programs at Auburn University and he commented that his
upperclass students were commanding $15/h for proofreading alone. How
much more should a seasoned professional charge!

As a contracting technical writer here in the Atlanta market, I am also
concerned about rates others charge for tech writing. Obviously, if a client has
a choice between $20 and $40 per hour, there is no question. If I already have a
relationship with the client, they may be suspicious of such a low rate.

The current rates in Atlanta vary based on the type of writing.

For example: Marketing writing goes for $60 - $90 per hour. This is fast
turn-around, short deadline writing.

Standard computer documentation goes for $25 - $55 per hour, depending on skills
and experience. Contracts usually go from 3 - 12 months, and sometimes longer.

I am not sure about proofreading, editing, or indexing rates.

I stongly believe that you get what you pay for. If you hire a writer for $15
hour, that is what you will get - $15 per hour writing. If you want a
professional who knows what he/she is doing, you will have to pay the market
rates. Most businesses know that.

Southern College of Technology (in Marietta) offers a MS in Technical
Communication. Their interns usually earn $10 per hour for part time work.
However, after graduating, they can earn $30/hr easily.

H. Frank Harper | Two rules in life:
Technical Writer | 1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
hfharper -at- pobox -dot- com | 2. It's ALL small stuff.