Doing your own art

Subject: Doing your own art
From: Frank -dot- Harper -at- ES -dot- ATL -dot- SITA -dot- INT
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:14:33 PST

Yes, I do all of my own art, not because I am very talented, but because of the
space requirements when importing bitmaps.

I use FrameMaker. When I import a bitmap (usually screen captures), it results
in very large document files. For this reason, I have drawn (actually traced)
the screens using the FrameMaker draw tools. This has several advantages: first,
a much smaller file. Secondly, it allows me to change the screen easily when the
programmers get a bit wild and change the screen two days before the deadline.
It also lets me save the drawn screens and reuse them for a different screen
with some modifications. And lastly, it produces a much better image on the
printed page when you have to reproduce the documents on a copier instead of a
Linotronic. It works great for those of us who do not send the documentation out
to a comercial printer.
H. Frank Harper | Two rules in life:
Technical Writer | 1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
hfharper -at- pobox -dot- com | 2. It's ALL small stuff.