Re: =09, =20, =B9

Subject: Re: =09, =20, =B9
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 09:24:00 -0600

Is this really necessary. Can't the members cursed with whatever
program it is, do anything about it?

Eliminate them? Probably not. Most of us who work in corporations get zero
say in what e-mail packages we use, and these symbols are artifacts of the
conversion of a message from one e-mail system to another.

Here's a suggestion which can lower the incidence of them: Use *only*
ASCII characters in your messages. Yes, curled quotes and other
typographic niceties look good on your screen, but they don't survive the
trip through cyberspace, which results in some of the wierdness he's
complaining about.

Typically, the =xx symbol is used as a replacement for a character which
the conversion destination doesn't support. Use standard characters when
composing and most of those symbols will disappear from your messages.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124