WWW browsers and support for HTML 3.0

Subject: WWW browsers and support for HTML 3.0
From: Michele_Berkes -at- CCMAIL -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 08:40:00 -0400

Greetings techwr-lers,

This isn't strictly technical writing, but I know that many of us
create/maintain Web pages in addition to myriad other tasks. We
publish a great deal of scientific and technical material. So we are
intrigued by the features of the (developing) HTML 3.0 standard to
support superscripts, subscripts, tables, and such.

We are also a government facility and believe that we should provide
our Web files in a format that most of the people accessing our files
can read (read: no Netscape extensions, HTML syntax validated against
the standard). The benefits of using some of the HTML 3.0 features
would be great, but we want to balance that against the disadvantage
of narrowing the group of people who can view our files as intended. I
guess this is a variation on the age-old edict KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!

Which leads me to my question. I can find out what browsers they use;
I just need to know how well (if at all) those browsers support HTML
3.0. Does anyone know of a site that compares the various common
browsers available and states which features of HTML 3.0 they support?

I've looked at http://www.w3.org to see which features of the 3.0
standard are fairly stable and which are still in a state of flux. We
would only begin to implement those that are stable (we certainly
don't want to create a mass of legacy data that will will need
reworked to be compatible with the next revision). I've also done some
searches, but haven't really come up with the kind of info I'm looking
for.

Any pointers or discussion would be appreciated. If you know of
another group where this discussion might be more appropriate, please
feel free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Michele Berkes
michele -dot- berkes -at- ccmail -dot- osti -dot- gov