Pride of ownership

Subject: Pride of ownership
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:47:00 +1100

Guy McDonald asked:
One of OUR biggest problems is making the boring stuff we write a *good
read*. The challenge beyond that is to spark the manager & operator's
true interest in daily work (pride in ownership).

<end quote>

Guy, We write for an internal audience only. I find that a lot of
public realations helps during the document creation. That is I make
sure that people know that users are involved, that it is important to us
that it meets THEIR needs. However for all that I believe that pride of
work is very much a management issue. If the workers don't feel in
control and are respected they usually don't have much pride in their
work. So we tend to have a lot of success when management is good and
responsive to the workforce and not nearly so much when management leaves
something to be desired. I know this probably isn't much help, but
owning a process is more than just documentation it's more a
psychological issue. We can only really help.

Colleen Dancer
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au

The opinions expressed are mine, and mine alone.