How .pdf files are made

Subject: How .pdf files are made
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 08:48:00 +0100

Hello Mike,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Michael Andrew Uhl an All am 11.03.96

MA> From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov>

MA> I've never created a .pdf file in my life but may have to do so
MA> very soon. Are they created by "distilling" a PostScript file
MA> into a .pdf file using Adobe's Distiller program?

The easiest way is to use Acrobat Exchange as a "printer driver" just like
your Fax program. The Destiller is a much more expensive alternative, but can
import PostScript files.

BTW, after capturing the document in a PDF file, you should at least add some
"book marks" and create a table of contens with it.

If all you want is to distribute a printable file, simply print into the
Exchange. But if you expect people to to look at your documents on screen you
should change parameters like page and font size and carefully look at your
layout. E.g., multi-column should be avoided.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander