liability

Subject: liability
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 20:11:00 +0100

Hello Kim,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Kim Fawcett an All am 26.03.96

KF> From: Kim Fawcett <kfawcett -at- dy4 -dot- com>

KF> My company includes a notice at the front of each manual that
KF> reads:
KF>
KF> "...The information in this document is subject to change
KF> without notice
KF> and should not be construed as a commitment by DY 4 Systems
[...]

My European point of view:

1.
The documentation is part of the product. If a product or a part of a
product has an error, the producer (or the importer into the European Union)
of the product (hardly the producer of a part of that product) is liable for
any damage (injury etc.) done to persons by that error.

2.
If your product does not operate as indicated, you customer might try to
return your product, reduce the price of the product or even request damages
from you. It depends on the applicable treaties how this case might be
handled. But your freedom might be limited, especially when you sell your
product to ordinary citizens for their private use.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

PS: Something seems to be wrong: I only got a handfull of messages during the
last days.