Re: Pecentage of techwriters in relation to other employees

Subject: Re: Pecentage of techwriters in relation to other employees
From: FB -at- POINTDUBLIN -dot- CCMAIL -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:52:32 EST

Ron,

you could poll the writers on this list! Here's a start:

We have eight people in our pubs department, but because of all the
other tasks we do, we have only about three-and-a-half fulltime
writers of our software manuals. We also do interface design, Web site
design and maintenance, design and layout of marketing materials,
training, and user group stuff.

There are over 25 software developers in the company. And overall we
have about 120 employees worldwide.

That makes the ratios and percentages:

3.5:25 or 13 percent writers to developers

3.5:120 or 3 percent writers to other employees

As for what the optimum is? don't know. These numbers are working
quite well for us at the moment. But of course they might not for
another company. There are so many variables! For example:
* length of software design and production cycles;
* emphasis given by company and customers to documentation;
* length and type of manual design, production, and distribution
cycle;
* ability of developers, of writers;
* management style within the company;
and a myriad others.

Hope this helps,
Fionnuala Broughan
fb -at- pointdublin -dot- ccmail -dot- compuserve -dot- com

Author: INTERNET:ron -dot- rothbart -at- documentum -dot- com at CSERVE
Date: 13y03y96 16:24

Does anyone have or know where I might get the following information:

Average or optimum number/percentage of techwriters in relation to
engineering employees and/or total employees at software firms.

Number/percentage of techwriters in relation to engineering or total
employees at some specific software firms.