Re: Scorned Feminists

Subject: Re: Scorned Feminists
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 07:02:05 -0600

Well, I don't have the book before me, but if I remember correctly, the
trains don't have names, do they? Might it not be that the illustrations
indicate gender, not the story? In that case, it would not be the story
that was at fault, but rather the illustrations and the minset of those
who did them. In either case, it should be brough to the attention of the
publisher. It would seem that those who publish children's books today
are more sensitive to the idea that gender bias is built into children's
stories and should be removed. I've seen some excellent work on old
stories published recently that did that through a shift in the way the
story is illustrated.

Marci Abels
maa5906 -at- mwsc -dot- edu